[dpdk-dev] How to debug packet sends to virtual functions

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Tue Feb 4 14:40:19 CET 2014

Hi Mats

Technically, you can use igb_uio on the host as well (DPDK PMD supports creating virtual devices since at least release 1.5.0), it's just that you'll have to set everything up yourself inside your host DPDK application (you can't use "ip net" to set up VF devices if you're using DPDK drivers). Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with that part of the code to comment on what exactly you should do to make it work with igb_uio, but I can certainly ask around if you want.

I also noticed that you are running KVM with virsh. We always run our VM's by passing QEMU command line directly, without using virsh, so unfortunately I cannot be of much help here as I'm not familiar with virsh. Your best bet would be to get whatever parameters virsh passes to QEMU and modify them to suit your needs and according to DPDK documentation.

Best regards,
Anatoly Burakov
DPDK SW Engineer

Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare