[dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Sun Jan 5 15:54:51 CET 2014

05/01/2014 22:31, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> venky.venkatesan at intel.com> wrote:
> > Was the DPDK library compiled on a different machine and the used in the
> > VM? It looks like it has been compiled for native AVX (hence the
> > vzeroupper). Could you dump cpuinfo in the VM and see what instruction set
> > the VM supports?
>
> Yes, it was compiled in a different machine and it was used in my VM.
[...]
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc
> rep_good nopl pni monitor ssse3 lahf_lm
[...]
>  It seems that there is no avx here, does this mean this doesn't support
> avx instructions ?

Yes, you have no avx on this machine.
Tip to clearly check this type of flag:
	grep --color -m1 avx /proc/cpuinfo

So, you have 2 solutions:
1) build DPDK on this machine
2) build DPDK for a default machine:
	CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE=default
defconfig files are wrongly called "default" but have CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE set to
native. So the compilation flags are guessed from /proc/cpuinfo. You can look
for AUTO_CPUFLAGS to better understand it.

--
Thomas