[dpdk-dev] Ability to/impact of running with smaller page sizes

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Tue Jul 1 13:51:06 CEST 2014

Hi Matt,

> I'm curious - is it possible in practical terms to run DPDK without hugepages?

Starting with release 1.7.0, support for VFIO was added, which allows using  DPDK without hugepages at al (including RX/TX rings) via the --no-huge command-line parameter. Bear in mind though that you'll have to have IOMMU/VT-d enabled (i.e. no VM support, only host-based) and also have supported kernel version (3.6+) as well to use VFIO, the memory size will be limited to 1G, and it won't work with multiprocess. I don't have any performance figures on that unfortunately.

Best regards,
Anatoly Burakov
DPDK SW Engineer