[dpdk-dev] Performance issue with vmxnet3 pmd

Patel, Rashmin N rashmin.n.patel at intel.com
Tue Jul 8 01:03:51 CEST 2014

Hi Hyunseok,

We should not compare Vmxnet3-PMD with ixgbe-PMD performance as Vmxnet3 device is a para-virtual device and it's not similar to directly assigned device to a VM either.
There is VMEXIT/VMEXIT occurrence at burst-size boundary and that overhead can’t be eliminated unless the design of Vmxnet3 is updated in future. In addition to that the packets is being touched in ESXi hypervisor vSwitch layer between physical NIC and a virtual machine, which introduces extra overhead, which you won't have in case of using Niantic being used natively or passed through Vt-d to a virtual machine.

Feature wise, we can compare it to Virtio-PMD solution, but again there is a little different in device handling and backend driver support compared to Vmxnet3 device so performance comparison won’t to apple to apple.

Thanks,
Rashmin