[dpdk-dev] testpmd unable to set allmulti for VF

Tomasz K tomasz.kasowicz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:48:55 CEST 2014

Hi All

I have an Intel 82599 with VFs created using Kernel Driver.
Two of the VFs are bound to DPDK Driver.

I'm trying to enable multicast for both VFs with testpmd app but it doesn't
work.
Output below:
testpmd> show port info 0

********************* Infos for port 0  *********************
MAC address: 02:09:C0:5C:65:18
Connect to socket: 0
memory allocation on the socket: 0
Link status: up
Link speed: 100 Mbps
Link duplex: half-duplex
Promiscuous mode: disabled
Allmulticast mode: disabled
Maximum number of MAC addresses: 128
Maximum number of MAC addresses of hash filtering: 4096
VLAN offload:
  strip on
  filter on
  qinq(extend) off
testpmd>
testpmd>
testpmd>
testpmd> set allmulti 0 on
testpmd>
testpmd>
testpmd> show port info 0

********************* Infos for port 0  *********************
MAC address: 02:09:C0:5C:65:18
Connect to socket: 0
memory allocation on the socket: 0
Link status: up
Link speed: 100 Mbps
Link duplex: half-duplex
Promiscuous mode: disabled
Allmulticast mode: disabled
Maximum number of MAC addresses: 128
Maximum number of MAC addresses of hash filtering: 4096
VLAN offload:
  strip on
  filter on
  qinq(extend) off
testpmd>

I also tried to bind VFs to VFIO driver but this also doesn't work.

So my question is: is it possible to set multicast for VF. If yes then why
testpmd is unable to set it

Setup:
HP Dl380p, Ubuntu 14, Intel 82599

Thanks