[dpdk-dev] Making space in mbuf data-structure

Olivier MATZ olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Wed Jul 16 14:32:54 CEST 2014

Hi Konstantin,

On 07/15/2014 11:07 AM, Ananyev, Konstantin wrote:
>> As this change would impact the core of DPDK, I think it would be
>> interesting to list some representative use-cases in order to evaluate
>> the cost of each solution. This will also help for future modifications,
>> and could be included in a sort of non-regression test?
>>

> I think this is a very good idea.
> Let's create a list of such test-cases.
> Two obvious apps from our side would probably be:
> - test-pmd iofwd mode
> - l3fwd
> What else should we add here?

I agree that test-pmd iofwd is a good reference to track regressions
or analyze performance issues, but I'm not sure it's a real use-case.
To me, it's more important to ensure that l3fwd performance stay stable
compared to iofwd.

I think l3fwd is the most representative of a DPDK application.

Other use-case could include:
- virtualization, maybe using ovdk?
- ip fragmentation / reassembly
- an application that encapsulate or decapsulate in a tunnel

Regards,
Olivier