[dpdk-dev] symbol conflicts between netinet/in.h, arpa/inet.h, and rte_ip.h

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Jul 25 12:43:15 CEST 2014

Hi all,

2014-07-24 22:55, Antti Kantee:
> On 24/07/14 07:59, Matthew Hall wrote:
> > I ran into some weird symbol conflicts between system netinet/in.h and DPDK
> > rte_ip.h. They have a lot of duplicated definitions for stuff like IPPROTO_IP
> > and so on. This breaks when you want to use inet_pton from arpa/inet.h,
> > because it includes netinet/in.h to define struct in_addr.
[...]
> Again, I recommend steering away from any tightrope approaches that
> "know" which types are non-conflicting, or pick out half-and-half from
> the host and IP stack.  "Do, or do not, there is no half-and-half"

The general problem here is that DPDK is conflicting with libc.
So the obvious question would be: "why DPDK needs to redefine libc stuff"?
I don't see any obvious answer since bare metal is planned to be removed.
(see http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2014-June/003868.html)

Objections?

--
Thomas