[dpdk-dev] does vswitchd runs multiple threads when i added dpdk devices

Srinivas Reddi srinivas.reddi at aricent.com
Mon Jul 28 09:33:35 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have taken the code form
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs

I have added two dpdk devices

ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk0 -- set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk1 -- set Interface dpdk1 type=dpdk

https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/INSTALL.DPDK

In the above link it is mentioned as " [ Once first DPDK port is added to vswitchd, it creates a Polling thread and
polls dpdk device in continuous loop. Therefore CPU utilization
for that thread is always 100%. ] "

As per my understanding  each  dpdk device is polled on different thread .
But in my case vswithcd is running in only single thread [on core 0]  , I expected to run on 3 cores ..

One thing I want to clarify   that .. does ovs-vswitchd runs on single core only  .. or multiple thereads .. when I added dpdk devices .
If vswitchd runs on multiple threads , when I added dpdk devices .. pls let me know how can I run .

Thanks,
Srinivas.

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."