[dpdk-dev] mmap() hint address

Richardson, Bruce bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Jun 13 23:27:55 CEST 2014

Hi Stephen,

That's a strange one!
I don't know for definite why this is happening, but here is one possible theory. :-)

It could be due to the size of the memory blocks that are getting mmapped. When you use 256 pages, the blocks of memory getting mapped may well be larger (depending on how fragmented in memory the 2MB pages are), and so may be getting mapped at a higher set of address ranges where there is more free memory. This set of address ranges is then free in the secondary process and it is similarly able to map the memory.
With the 128 hugepages, you may be looking for smaller amounts of memory and so the addresses get mapped in at a different spot in the virtual address space, one that may be more heavily used. Then when the secondary process tries to duplicate the mappings, it already has memory in that region in use and the mapping fails.
In short - one theory is that having bigger blocks to map causes the memory to be mapped to a different location in memory which is free from conflicts in the secondary process.

So, how to confirm or refute this, and generally debug this issue?
Well, in general we  would need to look at the messages printed out at startup in the primary process to see how big of blocks it is trying to map in each case, and where they end up in the virtual address-space.

Regards,
/Bruce