[dpdk-dev] Very low performance with l2fwd in a VM with PCI Passthrough

Surya Nimmagadda nscsekhar at juniper.net
Fri Mar 7 07:00:54 CET 2014

When change the device emulation in the NIC to virtio, I could get 900mbps when sending 1g of input. Good so far.

But when I increased the traffic rate to 10g, output became very turbulent - ranging from 0 to 150mbps.

I tried rate limiting on the vfs using the following commands, but didnt help.

ip link set eth0 vf 0 rate 1000
ip link set eth1 vf 0 rate 1000

Are there any recommended settings for using DPDK over virtual function in a VM?

Thanks,
Surya