[dpdk-dev] Questions on use of multiple NIC interfaces

Sujith Sankar (ssujith) ssujith at cisco.com
Fri Mar 28 11:02:50 CET 2014

Thank you Vladimir !

-Sujith

From: Vladimir Medvedkin <medvedkinv at gmail.com<mailto:medvedkinv at gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, 28 March 2014 3:13 pm
To: "Sujith Sankar (ssujith)" <ssujith at cisco.com<mailto:ssujith at cisco.com>>
Cc: "dev at dpdk.org<mailto:dev at dpdk.org>" <dev at dpdk.org<mailto:dev at dpdk.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Questions on use of multiple NIC interfaces

1. Yes.
2. Yes. Look at programmer's guide section 16 Multi-process support.
3. You can use blacklist eal option.

Regards,
Vladimir

Hi all,

Could someone answer the following questions about the usage of multiple NIC interfaces with DPDK?

1.  If my server has two identical Intel NICs, could I use both with DPDK and its applications?
2.  If both the NIC cards could be used with DPDK, could I use them with separate instances of applications?  E.g., NIC1 used by App1 and NIC2 used by App2.
3.  If answer to qn no 2 is yes, does the driver take care to avoid reinitialising NIC1 when App2 tries to initialise NIC2?  From what I’ve seen, DPDK calls the driver init for all the matching devices (vendor id and device id).

Thanks,
-Sujith