[dpdk-dev] White listing a virtual device

Nicolas Pernas Maradei nico at emutex.com
Fri Nov 7 14:13:37 CET 2014

On 07/11/14 12:55, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> It's by design. If you add a vdev, you want to use it and there is no
> reason to whitelist it, and especially no reason to blacklist a device
> you created for your usage.
>
> Do you agree?

Hi Thomas,

Generally speaking you probably won't want to white list a virtual
device - just using it. However it does seem an inconsistency in the
design that you could add virtual devices but you can't white list them.
If they are added to the main device list they should be treated just as
another device.

In our particular use case we want to white list a pcap device to ensure
that it is the only available port for testing.

Thanks,
Nico.