[dpdk-dev] White listing a virtual device

Nicolas Pernas Maradei nico at emutex.com
Fri Nov 7 15:28:32 CET 2014

On 07/11/14 14:02, Neil Horman wrote:
> Ah, you want the -w option then, it still appears in the short options list in
> my tree. That sets up the option parsing for all pci devices to require
> whitelisting to be initalized.  virtual devices are exempt from this process
> because declaring them with --vdev implicitly means you want to use them.
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. The -w option is the same as --pci-whitelist
mentioned in my first email. Declaring a virtual device with --vdev
means that I want to use it but there doesn't seem to be a way to say
that I want to use only that device. Clearly the white list option is
the way to specify this but if virtual devices are excluded from
-w/--pci-whitelist you can't only white list the virtual devices.

I want to be able to have the same command line arguments across several
systems under test without having to know where the physical devices are
(to black list them).

My issue is not that I don't want to black list the physical devices
it's just that I want to white list the virtual ones. I don't see why
that option is not available.

Thanks,
Nico.