[dpdk-dev] Issues running Ethtool on KNI interfaces

Deshvanth Mirle Jayaprakash (dmirleja) dmirleja at cisco.com
Fri Oct 17 09:58:14 CEST 2014

Hi Helin,

  We have been using KNI application to create Virtual interfaces. We
would like to use KNI interfaces for control plane application only. As
intended, We are still planning to use UIO interfaces to pass Data plane
traffic which would bump up traffic throughput. We have assigned 4 vCPUs
for KNI application (CoreMask is 0x1E (Core 1,2,3, and 4)). When I run top
while KNI process is running in the background, see there is 100% CPU
utilization on all 4 Cores.

 Is there a way to fix this or is this expected? In our case, the CPU
utilization seems to cause lot of issues wrt to other processes running on
Linux OS. Am I missing any EAL option in KNI.Also, I was wondering If
there is a way to run KNI without Hugepages.

The Command:

./kni -c 0x1E -n 4 --socket-mem 512 -- -p 0x3 --config="(0,1,3),(1,2,4)" &

Thanks,
Desh

 There is some issue with respect to Hugepage allocation that prevents
other processes from