[dpdk-dev] DPDK Features for Q1 2015

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Wed Oct 22 16:20:53 CEST 2014

Thanks Tim for sharing your plan.
It's really helpful to improve community collaboration.

I'm sure it's going to generate some interesting discussions.
Please take care to discuss such announce on dev list only.
The announce at dpdk.org list is moderated to keep a low traffic.

I would like to open discussion about a really important feature,
showed last week by John Fastabend and John Ronciak during LinuxCon:

> Bifurcated Driver: With the Bifurcated Driver, the kernel will retain
> direct control of the NIC, and will assign specific queue pairs to DPDK.
> Configuration of the NIC is controlled by the kernel via ethtool.

This design allows to keep the configuration code in one place: the kernel.
In the meantime, we are trying to add a lot of code to configure the NICs,
which looks to be a duplication of effort.
Why should we have two ways of configuring e.g. flow director?

Since you at Intel, you'll be supporting your code, I am fine for duplication,
but I feel it's worth arguing why both should be available instead of one.

--
Thomas