[dpdk-dev] Wrong TCP checksum of packets sent by Linux guest (virtIO/vhost)

Gray, Mark D mark.d.gray at intel.com
Wed Sep 3 12:00:54 CEST 2014

> Hi Franck,
>
> 2014-09-02 13:20, Franck BAUDIN:
> > I am using dpdk-ovs 1.1.0 (latest release) as follow :
> >
> > linux-guest (no DPKD) <---  virtIO ---> OVDK 1.1.0 (with latest DPDK [*]) < --
> - Niantic --- > linux-native
> >
> [...]
> > UDP/ICMP connectivity is fine, but TCP checksum of packet sent by the
> guest are incorrect, as showed with tcpdump on linux-native.
>
> Thanks for reporting.
> Could you try virtio without vhost?

Looping in the dpdk-ovs list.

* Does the new vhost API allow a user to know if all the relevant offloads have been
turned on/off for that interface? It seems that this is possible through the virtio_net
structure but it would be good to get some feedback from the relevant person
working on DPDK (Huawei?).

* If this is the case, then it is probably in the realm of the vswitch do the actual
checksum (for VM-VM) or correctly configure the NIC when sending out through
the physical interface.

Comments?

Mark