[dpdk-dev] Can pthread_create be called directly in a dpdk application?

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Aug 14 12:18:42 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 06:13:46AM -0400, Rajesh R wrote:
> I am relatively new to dpdk. I could make the examples work.
>
> Now I am experimenting with a traffic measurement application which capture
> packets using dpdk. The application requires few other threads apart from
> the rte_threads.
> If I put the code for thread creation (pthread_create()) before calling
> eal_rte_init and remote_launch, the rte_init/remote launch is not
> proceeding. But if I put the eal_rte_init()/remote_launch first it is
> working, but coee will wait there and would not proceed to the subsequent
> lines
>
> How to do it correctly?
>
> --
Hi Rajesh

there should be no issues with spawning extra threads using pthread_create in
your application. Can you provide a few more specifics and perhaps snippets of
code which exhibit the problem. For example, when spawning the threads before
init and remote launch - can you clarify in what way it is "not proceding"? Does
it do nothing, does it hang, does it crash etc.? Similarly, putting the
pthread later, where exactly does it wait? Does gdb show anything of interest,
or show more specifics as to what the thread is waiting on?

Regards,
/Bruce