[dpdk-dev] 2.3 Roadmap

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Dec 1 16:19:41 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 04:58:08PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 04:48 PM, Vincent JARDIN wrote:
> >On 01/12/2015 15:27, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >>The problem with that (unless I'm missing something here) is that KNI
> >>requires using out-of-tree kernel modules which makes it pretty much a
> >>non-option for distros.
> >
> >It works fine with some distros. I do not think it should be an argument.
>
> Its not a question of *working*, its that out-of-tree kernel modules are
> considered unsupportable by the kernel people. So relying on KNI would make
> the otherwise important and desireable tcpdump feature non-existent on at
> least Fedora and RHEL where such modules are practically outright banned by
> distro policies.
>
> 	- Panu -

Yes, KNI is a bit of a problem right now in that way.

How about a solution which is just based around the idea of setting up a generic
port mirroring callback? Hopefully in the future we can get KNI exposed as a PMD,
and we already have a ring PMD, and could possibly do a generic file/fifo PMD.
Between the 3, we could then have multiple options for intercepting traffic
going in/out of an app. The callback would just have to copy the traffic to the
selected interface before returning it to the app as normal?

/Bruce