[dpdk-dev] Building with 'make install T=' and 'make config T='

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Wed Dec 9 18:44:05 CET 2015

On 12/9/15, 11:31 AM, "dev on behalf of Wiles, Keith" <dev-bounces at dpdk.org on behalf of keith.wiles at intel.com> wrote:

>On 12/9/15, 10:19 AM, "Thomas Monjalon" <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com> wrote:

BTW, I am not overly concerned about the build system per say I just wish I had put my $0.02 worth in before the change. We can leave as it is now.

The test-build.sh script build does appear to be a real problem. I would like to understand why it does not work. Adding a better help message should be an easy fix for someone that wrote the script or I can make the changes, just let me know.

>>> Having a build script is great, but it give me an error on building. The script does not have a —help option and the unknown option is not very usefulas it does not explain the two option -jX and -s in that output message. I would have expected a bit more help instructions on using this command and adding a -h or —help would be useful.
>>
>>Please check.
>>There is a -h option.
>
>The -h option gives the same output as the a unknown option:
>
>rkwiles at rkwiles-supermicro (master):~/.../intel/dpdk$ ./scripts/test-build.sh -h
>usage: test-build.sh [-jX] [-s] [config1 [config2] ...]]
>rkwiles at rkwiles-supermicro (master):~/.../intel/dpdk$
>

>My point was more around the content of the help as it is not very useful as to what the -jX or -s options are, please add more help information as ‘man test-build.sh’ does not work :-)
>

>>> The error I get from the following command is: './scripts/test-build.sh x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc’ building on a Ubuntu 15.10 with all patches. If I use ‘make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc’ this command builds correctly with the warning at the end.
>>[...]
>>> /work/home/rkwiles/projects/intel/dpdk/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/eal/eal_pci.c: In function \u2018pci_config_extended_tag\u2019:
>>> /work/home/rkwiles/projects/intel/dpdk/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/eal/eal_pci.c:505:2: error: ignoring return value of \u2018fgets\u2019, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Werror=unused-result]
>>>   fgets(buf, sizeof(buf), f);
>>>   ^
>>
>>It is a compilation error, not related to the script.
>
>This is strange the ‘make install T=‘ command just works, how do you explain that problem.
>The test-build.sh script should be do some setup then ‘make config T= ; make’ so why is this script not working?
>
>The script should work as expected with ‘./scripts/test-build.sh x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc’ correct?
>
>Could be something wrong with my system, but I doubt it.

>>> IMO we have gone backwards in making DPDK easy to build. I agree using ‘make install T=‘ may not be the best solution as ‘install’ implies we are installing the code. I agree not we should not try to build multiple configuration with one command, but we should be able to do ‘make build T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc’ to replace the ‘make install T=‘ command. Now the developer only needs to type one command with to build a configuration and not two. If the developer includes the ‘O=‘ option then the command should create that directory and build the configuration into that directory. For the 80% rule the ‘O=‘ option should not be required.
>>
>>The O= option is not required.
>>The new syntax is closer to the standard behaviour.
>>You just don't want to type "make config" because you are using a default
>>configuration.

> [...]

Regards,
Keith