[dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - Linux Foundation

O'Driscoll, Tim tim.odriscoll at intel.com
Thu Dec 17 16:28:29 CET 2015

These are brief minutes of our community call on Wednesday. Please feel free to post any corrections or additions.

Attendees:  Amruta Zende, Andrey, Bruce Richardson, Chris Wright, Dave Neary, Frank Zdarsky, Heqing Zhu, Jerin Jacob, Jim St Leger, John Bromhead, John DiGiglio, Keith Wiles, Konstantin Ananyev, Lixuming, M Jay, Mike Dolan, Nan, Panu Matilainen, Rashid Khan, Sanjay Aiyagari, Scott Nicholas, Siobhan Butler, Stephen Hemminger, Tao Yang, Thomas Monjalon, Tim O'Driscoll, Yoshihiro Nakajima.
Note: This list is taken from the GoToMeeting tool, but since people joined/left at different times it may not be complete.

Architecture Board:
- Stephen asked how frequently we should review membership. Agreed that we should review at least annually. Our next community event (we'll hold a follow-up to Userspace in Dublin in September-October) would be a good time/place to discuss how well this is working and any required changes.
- Jim asked if all the people nominated have confirmed that they're willing to participate. They have.

- Agreed that we now have an Architecture Board! The members will agree a time amongst themselves for a first meeting in January.
- Thanks to Thomas, Bruce, Stephen, Jerin, Panu, Olivier and Konstantin for agreeing to participate and provide technical direction for the project.

Linux Foundation:
- Mike Dolan presented the attached slides.
- Dave Neary asked if the LF model was all or nothing. Can a project pick and choose which elements it wants, or does it need to adopt the entire LF governance model? Mike confirmed that it's entirely up to each project which aspects they choose to adopt.
- There was some discussion on trademarks. As far as everybody on the call is aware, nobody has trademarked DPDK. Mike suggested that it's probably worth registering to prevent anybody else from doing so. LF can help with this process.
- There was a question on whether just the ownership of the dpdk.org domain would need to transition to LF, or if DNS would need to change too. Mike confirmed that it would just be a change in ownership of the domain and no DNS changes are required.
- Can you still have individuals who are not associated with an LF member participate as part of the decision-making process (e.g. a community rep on the board)? Mike confirmed that this is possible.
- Thomas asked about the scope of the project governance. Mike described it as a decision-making body that will determine how the project funds will be spent. This is completely separate from technical governance of the project, which we've dealt with separately via the Architecture Board.
- Agreed that we'll create a small team to work with the Linux Foundation to create a specific proposal for the project that will then be reviewed with the community. The following people volunteered on the call: Dave Neary, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger, Tim O'Driscoll. If anybody else is interested in participating, please let me know. We did agree that we should keep this to a max of 5-6 people.

Tim