[dpdk-dev] [Question] How pmd virtio works without UIO?

Peter Xu peterx at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 04:50:41 CET 2015

Hi,

I got a question related to how virtio pmd driver work without
UIO layer.

I see that in virtio PMD driver, DPDK will first try to init the
device using UIO interfaces. If it fails, it will try to init by
manipulating IO ports directly (see virtio_resource_init()).

For the ioport case, is it okay to do it like this? E.g., in
eth_virtio_dev_init(), we are resetting the virtio device, however,
this device should still be owned by virtio-pci driver in the
kernel.

How is that working? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.
Peter