[dpdk-dev] Why nothing since 1.8.0?

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Thu Jan 15 18:25:33 CET 2015

2015-01-15 08:06, Neil Horman:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:51:38AM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > 2015-01-15 04:27, Ouyang, Changchun:
> > > From: dev [mailto:dev-bounces at dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Zhang, Helin

> > > +1,  the earlier some patches are merged into mainline, and the easier those
> > > sequent patch sets can resolve their conflicts.
> >
> > +1, there are some patches which are properly reviewed
> >
> > Reminder: sub-tree to manage specific part of DPDK can be open on request
>
> Ok, I think what you're saying here is you're too busy to handle all the patches
> comming in at the moment.  As such I'd like to propose a sub-tree encompassing
> all the pmds in DPDK.  I would envision that including all the acutal pmd's in
> the tree, as well as the infrastructure that is used to interface them to the
> core (i.e. the ethdev/rte_ether library).  I'll gladly maintain the patch pool
> and send you pull requests.

The list of PMDs is increasing:
	librte_pmd_af_packet
	librte_pmd_bond
	librte_pmd_e1000
	librte_pmd_enic
	librte_pmd_i40e
	librte_pmd_ixgbe
	librte_pmd_pcap
	librte_pmd_ring
	librte_pmd_virtio
	librte_pmd_vmxnet3
	librte_pmd_xenvirt
There is already some sub-trees for bnx2x, fm10k and i40e:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/

> If you could set me up with a login to dpdk.org, I'd appreciate it.

It is preferred to have 1 sub-tree per module.
What do you think of managing contributions for af_packet and/or virtio?
It would make sense as virtio is a RedHat technology.
Maybe it could include vhost lib and example.

Thanks for proposing
--
Thomas