[dpdk-dev] more maintainers with sub-trees

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Jan 16 15:36:46 CET 2015

2014-12-23 13:58, Neil Horman:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 06:08:26PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > We now have 2 new maintainers managing their own sub-tree for some
> > specific areas of DPDK:
> > 	- Stephen Hemminger will maintain the driver bnx2x
> > 	- Helin Zhang will maintain the driver i40e
> >
> > These repositories can be browsed from the "next" section of this page:
> > 	http://dpdk.org/browse/
> >
> > Patches should still be sent to dev at dpdk.org for review.
> > They will be applied to the sub-tree first, and will be merged in dpdk.git
> > after a pull request is submitted.
> >
> > More sub-trees can be created on demand.
> >
> Can you describe the expected workflow for these subtrees?  I ask because it
> seems a bit odd to have a separate subtrees for bnx2x (which doesn't appear to
> exist in either tree yet) and i40e, while other pmd's all ostensibly still go
> through your tree.  I presume that Stephen and Helin will send you merge
> requests prior to -rc releases, and that for changes that affect pmd's
> tree-wide, we can circumvent the subtree with Stephen/Helin's signoff?

As discussed in another thread, these are the first trials of sub-trees.
We could adjust the workflow step by step when walking.
The idea is to make pull requests during first phases but last patches during
-rc phase would probably be directly integrated into the main repository.
This sub-tree could provide a convenient source for testers before pushing
into the main tree.

Intel expressed an interest in trying this workflow.
Stephen (Brocade) needs it to work on first public version of their PMDs.

--
Thomas