[dpdk-dev] Why nothing since 1.8.0?

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Fri Jan 16 21:00:57 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:58:52AM -0800, Matthew Hall wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:18:19PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > I'd like to try solving the review challenge first and see what else can be
> > done after that. Step by step.
>
> FWIW, I know the kernel guys seem to really love it, but not everybody else
> has much fun trying to do the reviews reading huge patch emails. I lose a lot
> of context trying to stare at them in mutt 80x25 console etc.
Well, ok, then don't use mutt, no one mandates it.  You can setup
outlook/thunderbird/evolution/MTA of choice to format email properly for lkml
pretty easily.

> It would be nice
> if we could have a visual interface with syntax highlighting and comment
> capabilities, that's easier to read through quickly and clearly, like
> ReviewBoard, GitHub Pull Request UI, etc. If it had email integration to reply
> to the patch threads that'd be great too.

Like Gerrit:
https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/

Its easy enough to setup your own instance and point it at your own tree for
review purposes.

> Also if we had some branches available where conceptually related changes are
> grouped, somebody could check out the branch with some feature they wanted to
> try, get all the related patches, integrate with their app of choice, and see
> if the app works successfully with the new feature.

That would be the master branch of a subtree, if the granularity was correct.

> Some of these things like DPDK, it isn't obvious how the feature will help or
> hurt, until you write some code against it and/or benchmark it first, because
> some of these features are kind of complicated.
>
> Another thing... if we had some kind of wiki page, where some of the backend
> coders could mark themselves as maintainers of all the different features they
> work on, and more client-side network stack guys like me could express
> interest in certain features, we could connect the two sides so any given guy
> knows who can review his bugfix he found, or try out his new patchset to see
> if it works well in an app.

Thats what the MAINTAINERS file and --subject-prefix options in git-send-email
are commonly used for

Neil