[dpdk-dev] Why nothing since 1.8.0?

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Fri Jan 16 23:43:26 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 04:14:38PM -0500, Neil Horman wrote:
> Sure, Its a bit orthogonal to this conversation, but I think its a fine idea to
> have if it aids in general reviewing.  Thomas can it be setup on dpdk.org?
>
> Neil

Admittedly I'm not a PMD expert to comment on all the specifics of what you
said about subtrees. But I do like to think out of the box and look at the big
picture of what people have to say in the various threads. Your points about
making the community strong seemed important, so I thought about the various
subproblems to solve the whole topic:

1) some logical subtrees as you advised,

2) a clarification of who runs the subtrees and who does the -next mergeups,

3) feature branches or some other way for end users to validate new related
functionality all together as a kind of integration testing,

4) a MAINTAINERS file, and maybe a TESTERS file, or tester / end-user entries
in MAINTAINERS,

5) a really good friend way to review the new code like Gerrit as you advised

I think if we attack all of these we should be in good shape as the community
continues to grow and mature.

Matthew.