[dpdk-dev] Why nothing since 1.8.0?

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Sun Jan 18 01:30:51 CET 2015

I am all for having multiple staging trees that get MERGED into one
upstream tree.

Let me make it simple, no out of tree drivers. I am not supporting,
maintaining or submitting drivers that
are not in the mainline DPDK product. If you want me to submit drivers,
then they should go into
the mainstream.

Developers:
Want to be able to make changes to core infrastructure during merge window
and fix all the
related drivers. For many devices, developer wants to be able to submit a
driver and have it
fixed by others in the main tree.

Vendors:
Want to be able to extend, change, and enhance the existing DPDK tree and
then build an application
with that. It is a increase in technical overhead to merge in drivers from
multiple sources.