[dpdk-dev] Making DPDK.org more vendor neutral

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Sat Jan 31 22:20:23 CET 2015

Hi Stephen,

2015-01-31 20:47, Stephen Hemminger:
> I think that DPDK.org should be as neutral in all public communications.

I agree and thought it was already OK.

> This bothers me:
> "If you need some specific drivers or networking stacks, you should contact a company that provides such extensions."
>
> This tag line is a link to page describing 6wind and other vendors leaves a biased taint
> on the initial impression. It would be best to only put in historical data
> about the contributing companies and a vague reference to commercial support being
> available.

Maybe that these words leave a biased taint, as you say.
The goal is to show that DPDK ecosystem can offer some services and support
if needed. It's an important information when choosing to use a software.
We can try to reword it as you suggest.

> It is not like kernel.org has links to SUSE and RHEL. We need to make DPDK.org
> independent.

Linux is very well known and its ecosystem is really huge.
I hope that one day, everybody will be confident enough to not hesitate
choosing DPDK. We made huge progress for 2 years by opening the development
process but I feel it's too early to be compared with kernel.org ;)

Thank you for your report, we'll try to fix it at best.
--
Thomas