[dpdk-dev] [RFC-PATCH-v3 0/6] pktdev update

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Wed Jun 10 15:26:29 CEST 2015

2015-06-10 14:07, Bruce Richardson:
> Following on from the feedback received from the community about the pktdev idea,
> I've decided not to push this approach further for DPDK 2.1.
>
> Instead, for future releases, I'll look at taking some of what was investigated in
> this work and see if it can be applied to the existing ethdev library, which seems
> to be the favoured point of convergence in the community. Hopefully, we can get
> ethdev to meet all the requirements I had looked for for pktdev. [If not, I may
> need to come back to look at this again, but I hope not! :-)]

Maybe we should start removing some things from ethdev.
There are some functions or structures which are specific to some devices only.
Why not include a header from the driver when we want to use a specific feature
of this driver?
Examples: ixgbe bypass mode, ixgbe queue stats mapping, Rx/Tx thresholds tuning...