[dpdk-dev] Regarding usage of vmxnet3 PMD with DPDK2.0

Patel, Rashmin N rashmin.n.patel at intel.com
Thu Jun 25 08:00:44 CEST 2015

That's correct. If you're using dpdk packaged vmxnet3 pmd, you should be able to bind it to igb_uio in Guest OS and start l2fwd/ l3fwd app in VM.

On the ESXi part, your vmxnet3 device must be connected to one of the vSwitches with Uplink port, so you don't need to configure anything else, I believe.
Just make sure the packets coming in the Uplink port carries your vmxnet3 device's mac-vlan and they'll hit your device and the VM, ultimately ending up in your dpdk thread polling on vmxnet3 device in your app.

Thanks,
Rashmin