[dpdk-dev] VMXNET3 on vmware, ping delay

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Thu Jun 25 17:18:34 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 09:14:53AM +0000, Vass, Sandor (Nokia - HU/Budapest) wrote:
> According to my understanding each packet should go
> through BR as fast as possible, but it seems that the rte_eth_rx_burst
> retrieves packets only when there are at least 2 packets on the RX queue of
> the NIC. At least most of the times as there are cases (rarely - according
> to my console log) when it can retrieve 1 packet also and sometimes only 3
> packets can be retrieved...

By default DPDK is optimized for throughput not latency. Try a test with
heavier traffic.

There is also some work going on now for DPDK interrupt-driven mode, which
will work more like traditional Ethernet drivers instead of polling mode
Ethernet drivers.

Though I'm not an expert on it, there is also a series of ways to optimize for
latency, which hopefully some others could discuss... or maybe search the
archives / web site / Intel tuning documentation.

Matthew.