[dpdk-dev] RTM instruction compile failure for XABORT when AVX is active

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Sun Jun 28 19:16:24 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I am getting a strange error compiling some RTM instructions when I upgraded my VM environment from VirtualBox 4 to VirtualBox 5 and AVX instructions from the host CPU became available. However when I am reading the opcode description for XABORT it supposedly allows an immediate operand for the argument so I can't understand why this code would not compile. Any advice?

  CC test_hash_scaling.o
In file included from /vagrant/external/dpdk/app/test/test_hash_scaling.c:37:
In file included from /vagrant/external/dpdk/build/include/rte_spinlock.h:42:
/vagrant/external/dpdk/build/include/rte_rtm.h:56:15: error: invalid operand for inline asm constraint 'i'
        asm volatile(".byte 0xc6,0xf8,%P0" :: "i" (status) : "memory");

Matthew.