[dpdk-dev] rte_prefetch0() performance info

Anuj Kalia anujkaliaiitd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:51:01 CET 2015

Hi Parikshith.

A CPU core can have a limited number of prefetches in flight (around 10).
So if you issue 64 (or nb_rx > 10) prefetches in quick succession, you'll
stall on memory access. The main idea here is to overlap prefetches of some
packets with computation from other packets.

This paper explains it in the context of hash tables, but the idea is
similar: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~binfan/papers/conext13_cuckooswitch.pdf

--Anuj