[dpdk-dev] hpet alternative when using qemu-kvm

Helmut Sim simhelmut at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:49:08 CET 2015

Hi All,

using my dpdk application on a guest over qemu-kvm (version 1.5.3) I fail
to initialize the hpet.
this returns failure due to "Device or resource busy".
This is also the case when accessing the "/dev/hpet", so obviously this is
not a dpdk issue.

I couldn't resolve this issue at the host/guest level so I am looking for
an alternative at the dpdk level.
BTW, the hpet works well with qemu-system-x86_64 though this conflicts with
another requirement :(

is there a way to use same clock across any lcore?,any idea how to overcome
this?

Thanks
Sim