[dpdk-dev] tools brainstorming

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Mar 24 00:38:17 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 05:18:49PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> Don't you think adding a bug tracker would artificially split discussions
> between mailing list threads and bug tracker entries?

It is difficult to track the workflow around bugs without some kind of
bug-friendly workflow tool.

I.e.

Suspected
Confirmed
Triaged
Patched
Tested
Committed (in master / development branch)
Released (in version X.Y.Z)

etc.

Importantly, Suspected, Confirmed, and Triaged all happen before anything
appears in a patch manager tool if I'm not mistaken, and Committed and
Released are also not likely present there. So a patch tool only covers 2/7
steps by itself.

There are a number of bug tools which have email integration, Bugzilla or
Debian BTS. The Debian BTS is especially email friendly, since Debian is a big
email community. Since DPDK is for hackers I think it makes more sense to be
email friendly than web-friendly like Github or JIRA.

Matthew.