[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Fri May 1 20:48:13 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 10:31:08AM -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 12:45:12PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > Yes, but as you said above, using a web browser doesn't make reviewing patches
> > faster.  In fact, I would assert that it slows the process down, as it prevents
> > quick, easy command line access to patch review (as you have with a properly
> > configured MUA).  That seems like we're going in the opposite direction of at
> > least one problem we would like to solve.
>
> Normally I'm a big command-line supporter. However I have found reviewing
> patches by email for me is about the most painful workflow.
>
> The emails are pages and pages.

So collapse the quoted text (see below)

> The replies from commenters are buried in the walls of text.

Again, collapse the text, many MUA's let you do that, its not a feature unique
to github.

> Replies to replies keep shifting farther off the edge of the screen. The code
> gets weirder and weirder to try to read.

Text Collapse will reformat that for you.

> Quickly reading over the patchset by scrolling through to get the flavor of
> it, to see if I'm qualified to review it, and look at the parts I actually
> know about is much harder.

Thats what the origional post is for, no?  Look at that to determine if you are
qualified to read it.

> I can go to one place to see every candidate patchset out there, the GH Pull
> Request page. Then I can just sync up the branch and test it on my own systems
> to see if it works, not just try to read it.

how is that different from a mailing list?  both let you search for posts, and
both allow you to sync git branches (github via git remote/pull, mailing list
via git am)

> Github automatically minimizes old comments that are already fixed, so they
> don't keep consuming space and mental bandwidth from the review.
An MUA can do that too.  IIRC evolution and thunderbird both have collapse
features.  I'm sure others do too.