[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Tue May 5 15:55:42 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 10:25:00PM -0500, Jim Thompson wrote:

> > On May 4, 2015, at 10:12 PM, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles at intel.com> wrote:

> >> Like many UNIX people, I use mutt.
> >>
> >> My concern is that, if we're making the widespread adoption, usage, and
> >> contributions for DPDK dependent on selection or debate of the features
> >> of
> >> various MUAs, I'm not sure that we're looking at this from the right
> >> angle.
> >>
> >> I'm just trying to figure out how to get DPDK in the place where the most
> >> eyeballs are, rather than trying to drag the eyeballs to the place where
> >> DPDK
> >> is.
> >
> > +1, I agree with this statement completely and I feel discussions about an
> > MUA is non-productive and out of scope.
>
> +1.  I’ve avoided the whole discussion, because … ok, “non-productive and out of scope” is a polite way of saying it.
>
> jim

Very well, since you seem to want to avoid talking about ways to get what you
want in a workflow, lets go back to where the conversation started:

http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-May/017225.html

We got into this debate because you wanted to move the project to github, and as
supporting reasons, listed a plethora of features that you liked about the site.
This entire subtread has been meant to illustrate how you can have the features
you want that you see as adventageous in the github environment without actualy
moving to github.  We've focused on email quote collapsing because we kept
responding to one another, though I'm sure we could have the same debate on any
one of the workflow features github offers.

Can we all agree then, that for the list posted in your email above, any github
environmental feature can be recreated with proper tooling, available today,
without forcing the github environment on everybody?  Further, can we agree
that, given that those features are not unique to github, they are not
compelling reasons to move the project there?

Neil