[dpdk-dev] Proposals from project governance meeting at DPDK Userspace (was Notes from ...)

O'Driscoll, Tim tim.odriscoll at intel.com
Tue Nov 3 13:43:18 CET 2015

I think we might be talking about 2 slightly different things. You're asking how new contributors can participate and gain technical credibility. Anybody can do that via the dev at dpdk.org mailing list. I'm sure patches, RFCs or discussions on changes required in DPDK to better facilitate SoCs will be welcomed. There have been some good examples of this over the last few days on ARMv7/v8 support and a NEON-based ACL implementation.

The Architecture Board isn't intended as a forum for design discussions, which I think might be what you're looking for. It's intended to meet only occasionally to cover the items outlined in the proposal. We discussed composition of the board recently in Dublin and the community decided that, while users and potential contributors have an important role to play in the project, it should be composed solely of contributors. Dave Neary summed it up well in a previous email on this: "The TSC should be representative of the technical contributors to the project, rather than an aspirational body aiming to get more people involved."

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others on whether we should consider an exception in this case.

Tim