[dpdk-dev] Making rte_eal_pci_probe() in rte_eal_init() optional?

Roger B. Melton rmelton at cisco.com
Sun Nov 15 15:45:41 CET 2015

Hi David,

We are on a very old kernel (2.6.xx) that lacks VFIO.  In the future
however, after migration to a newer kernel it will be an option.

I like the "-b all" and "-w none" idea, but I think it might be
complicated to implement it the way we would need it to work.  The
existing -b and -w options  persist for the duration of the application,
and we would need the "-b all"/"-w none" to persists only through
rte_eal_init() time.  Otherwise our attempt to to attach a device at a
later time would be blocked by the option.

Wouldn't it be simpler to have an option to disable the rte_eal_init()
time the probe.  Would that address the issue with VFIO, prevent
automatically attaching to devices while permitting on demand attach?

Thanks again.

Regards,
-Roger

On 11/14/15 12:51 PM, David Marchand wrote:
> Hello Roger,
>
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Roger B. Melton <rmelton at cisco.com
> <mailto:rmelton at cisco.com>> wrote:
>
>     Agreed.  For our application, the debug case would be to _enable_
>     the PCI scan.
>
>     Again, thanks David for pointing it out.  It did solve our problem.
>

> The only problem with --no-pci is that I think that vfio won't work
> properly if used.
>
> Did you try to blacklist all your devices then attach them later ?
> I would say what you need here is to "blacklist all" or "whitelist
> none" at startup, so maybe a special keyword for -b/-w options.
>

> --
> David Marchand

|Roger B. Melton                |          |      Cisco Systems      |
|CPP Software                  :|:        :|:     7100 Kit Creek Rd  |
|+1.919.476.2332 phone        :|||:      :|||:    RTP, NC 27709-4987 |
|+1.919.392.1094 fax       .:|||||||:..:|||||||:. rmelton at cisco.com  |
| This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the|
| sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution  |
| or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the |
| intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient),   |
| please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of  |
| this message.                                                      |
| For corporate legal information go to:                             |
| http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html |