[dpdk-dev] Issues with running multicore

Abdul, Jaffar jabdul at ciena.com
Wed Nov 25 20:23:03 CET 2015

Hi All,
Iam trying to create multi core application by mapping separate function for each core.
I had followed Multi process example and I had used pthread.
The use case is:

1.      In a single process, launch pthread and run rte_eal_init

2.      Once  rte_eal_init is done, create 3 pthreads

3.      Launch master core.

4.      In each of 3 pthread, launch slave core.

The issue is, I don't see 4 cores running. Instead I see only single core running.

Here is the Pseudo code:

Init_pmd{
   ret = rte_eal_init(args, argv) ==> I had set the number of cores to 4 in the params.

    pthread_create(&thread1, NULL, (void*)threadFun1, NULL);
    pthread_create(&thread2, NULL, (void*)threadFun2, NULL);
    pthread_create(&thread3, NULL, (void*)threadFun3, NULL);

   rte_eal_mp_remote_launch(launch_pmd_single_lcore, NULL, CALL_MASTER);

}

Iam mapping each core to threadFun1, threadFun2 and threadFun3.

threadFun1
{
   RTE_LCORE_FOREACH_SLAVE(lcore_id)
   {
      if( lcore_id == 1 )
         rte_eal_remote_launch(threadFun1_launch_one_lcore, NULL, lcore_id);
   }
}

Has anyone seen this issue?
Please let me know if iam missing something?

Thanks
Jaffar