[dpdk-dev] dpdk proposal installation process

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Nov 27 12:50:58 CET 2015

2015-10-26 16:18, Arevalo, Mario Alfredo C:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thank you so much for your feedback, about your last comments,
> I understood the next:
>
> 1)
> -"make install" using "T" variable:
> This command will use a rule for the current behaviour called "mbuild"

I think the ability of building several targets in one command make
the build system more complex than it should be.
A target should be defined by its configured options, not a default
template config.
So I suggest to drop it.

> -"make install" without "T" variable:
> This command will install everything: headers, libraries, modules, apps, docs, and
> sdk files (config files, make files, scripts and examples).
>
> 2) About variables, you rigth, KMOD_DIR sounds better than KERNEL_DIR,
> and LIB_DIR should be /usr/lib by default.
>
> 3)
> -To use a "prefix variable"
> -This prefix variable will be "/usr/local" by default.
> -This prefix variable can be overridden.
>
> Example:
> $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/$(INCLUDE_DIR)

It is a good step.
In order to be more standard, we should try to comply with these guidelines:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html

> 4) What do you think about the Bruce's proposal?

I love the idea of having a configure script.
I would add some checks to solve the dependencies (external and internal).