[dpdk-dev] Having troubles binding an SR-IOV VF to uio_pci_generic on Amazon instance

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 11:15:18 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 11:52:26AM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> I still don't understand your objection to the patch:
>

>     MSI messages are memory writes so any generic device capable
>     of MSI is capable of corrupting kernel memory.
>     This means that a bug in userspace will lead to kernel memory corruption
>     and crashes.  This is something distributions can't support.
>

> If a distribution feels it can't support this configuration, it can disable the
> uio_pci_generic driver, or refuse to support tainted kernels.  If it feels it
> can (and many distributions are starting to support dpdk), then you're just
> denying it the ability to serve its users.

I don't, and can't deny users anything.  I merely think upstream should
avoid putting this driver in-tree.  By doing this, driver writers will
be pushed to develop solutions that can't crash kernel.

I pointed out one way to build it, there are sure to be more.

As far as I could see, without this kind of motivation, people do not
even want to try.

--
MST