[dpdk-dev] Having troubles binding an SR-IOV VF to uio_pci_generic on Amazon instance

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 11:55:26 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 12:22:46PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> It's easy to claim that
> a solution is around the corner, only no one was looking for it, but the
> reality is that kernel bypass has been a solution for years for high
> performance users,

I never said that it's trivial.

It's probably a lot of work. It's definitely more work than just abusing
sysfs.

But it looks like a write system call into an eventfd is about 1.5
microseconds on my laptop. Even with a system call per packet, system
call overhead is not what makes DPDK drivers outperform Linux ones.

--
MST