[dpdk-dev] Having troubles binding an SR-IOV VF to uio_pci_generic on Amazon instance

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 12:07:59 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 12:38:51PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> The sad thing is that you can do this since forever on a non-virtualized
> system, or on a virtualized system if you don't need interrupt support.  All
> you're doing is blocking interrupt support on virtualized systems.

True, Linux could do more to prevent this kind of abuse.
In fact IIRC, if you enable secureboot, it does exactly that.

A generic uio driver isn't a good interface because it relies on these
sysfs files. We are luckly it doesn't work for VFs, I don't think we
should do anything that relies on this interface in future applications.

--
MST