[dpdk-dev] Question about unsupported transceivers

Alex Forster alex at alexforster.com
Tue Oct 13 19:22:01 CEST 2015

Hi everybody, apologies for coming to this list with a tech support question.

I'm completely stumped about using non-Intel transceivers with DPDK. testpmd is bailing here: PMD: eth_ixgbe_dev_init(): Unsupported SFP+ Module / PMD: eth_ixgbe_dev_init(): Hardware Initialization Failure: -19

My box is an x64 server running Debian 8 (Jessie) with two X520-Q1 cards using Finisar QSFP transceivers. Here are the things that I've tried so far, unsuccessfully-

  *   Added CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IXGBE_ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SFP=y to config/defconfig_x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc and rebuilt/reinstalled/rebooted
  *   Tried various incantations of modprobe/insmod with allow_unsupported_sfp=1 appended
  *   Added options ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1 to /etc/modprobe.d/dpdk.conf and rebuilt the initrd

Can anybody lead me in the right direction here? It seems like a lot of the information floating around about this issue may be out of date.

Alex Forster