[dpdk-dev] DPDK User Space: Session onUseability and Ease of Use

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Tue Oct 13 22:06:16 CEST 2015

Thanks John for the summary.

2015-10-13 16:36, Mcnamara, John:
>   - Move the EAL to the kernel.

Please explain what you mean here.
It's difficult to imagine.

> * Latest version of the docs. - Needs support from 6Wind.

OK
It's as simple as a git hook.
Anybody to write and test one locally?
The script could be hosted in the future website git repo.

> * Distributed testing. - Needs support from Intel initially.
>   Some of this is already being rolled out on the
>   test-report at dpdk.org list for Intel hardware:
>   http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/test-report/. Other hardware
>   vendors could use the same automated test framework to host
>   something similar.

IBM has first started a daily compilation test.
Others are welcome.
We had a small session dedicated to this topic during the useability session.

> * Create a User Mailing List. - Needs support from 6Wind.

OK
Name: user at dpdk.org or other suggestion?

> * Make the dpdk.org website patchable. - Needs support from
>   6Wind.

OK
Needs a maintainer, a name for the git repo, the mailing list and the patchwork.

> * Add a Contributing Guide. - I will submit a doc patch.
>
> * Add a README .txt or .1st to the root dir. - I will submit a
>   doc patch.

Thanks

> * Too much duplicated code in the PMDs. - Any volunteers to
>   refactor common PMD code up into the ethdev layer?

We need more details.
Please start a new thread or a RFC.

> * Logging and debugging via a secondary process. Any volunteers
>   to add a sample app that demonstrates the technique?

There is already one:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/app/proc_info/main.c#n289