[dpdk-dev] dpdk proposal installation process

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Oct 20 11:17:29 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 12:21:00AM +0000, Arevalo, Mario Alfredo C wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>       Good day, this is a proposal in order to improve the dpdk install process,
> I would like to know your point of view about the next points according to
> previous conversations :) in order to create a new patches version.
>
> 1) I think the first thing that I have to be aware is "compatibility", the
> new changes won't affect the current dpdk behaviour.
>
> 2) Create new makefile rules, these rules is going to install dpdk files in
> default paths, however the linux distributions don't use the same paths for their
> files, the linux distribution and the architecture can be factor for different
> path as Panu commented in previous conversations, he is right, then all variables
> could be overridden, the variables names for the user can be included in documentation.
> Also an option could be a configuration file for paths, however I'm not sure.
>
> 3) The default paths for dpdk in order to follow a hierarchy, however the variable
> with those values can be overridden.
>
> -install-bin          --> /usr/bin.
> -install-headers  --> /usr/include/dpdk
> -install-lib           --> /usr/lib64
> -install-doc         --> /usr/share/doc/dpdk
> -install-mod        --> if RTE_EXEC_ENV=linuxapp then KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra/drivers/dpdk
>                                 else KERNEL_DIR=/boot/modules).
> -install-sdk         --> /usr/share/dpdk and call install-headers ).
> -install-fhs          --> call install-libraries, install-mod, install-bin and install-doc (maybe install-headers)
>
> 4) I'm going to take account all feedback about variables, paths etc for the new version :).
>
> Thank you so much for your help.
>

> Mario.

Hi Mario,

that seems like a lot of commands to add - are they all individually needed?

In terms of where things go, should the "usr" part not a) be configurable via
a parameter, and b) default to "/usr/local" as that's where user-installed
software from outside the packaging system normally gets put.

/Bruce