[dpdk-dev] [Patch] Eth Driver: Optimization for improved NIC processing rates

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Wed Oct 28 11:44:37 CET 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 08:56:31PM +0000, Polehn, Mike A wrote:
> Prefetch of interface access variables while calling into driver RX and TX subroutines.
>
> For converging zero loss packet task tests, a small drop in latency for zero loss measurements
> and small drop in lost packet counts for the lossy measurement points was observed,
> indicating some savings of execution clock cycles.

Hi Mike,

the commit log message above seems a bit awkward to read. If I understand it
correctly, would the below suggestion be a shorter, clearer equivalent?

	Prefetch RX and TX queue variables in ethdev before driver function call

	This has been measured to produce higher throughput and reduced latency
	in RFC 2544 throughput tests.

Or perhaps you could suggest yourself some similar wording. It would also be
good to clarify with what applications the improvements were seen - was it using
testpmd or l3fwd or something else?

Regards,
/Bruce