[dpdk-dev] X710 : ntuple or flow director filtering problems

VERDOUX, Sylvain s.verdoux at evs.com
Mon Sep 7 09:10:48 CEST 2015

Hello all,

I'm currently trying hardware filtering on an Intel X710 NIC and i face several problems. I will briefly try to present what I want to achieve : I have 2 multicast streams coming on one port of my NIC with 2 different multicast groups/ports, and I want to filter and redirect them to 2 RX queues to be able to retrieve packets into 2 different processes.
To do that, I first tried a simple 2-tuple filter with IP/port. But when using rte_eth_dev_filter_supported(portid, RTE_ETH_FILTER_NTUPLE) I get an error (error=-22 invalid argument ?) which I find strange because when using ethtool -k on the interface, I have ntuple-filters: on, so I guessed it was supported on this NIC.
Then I wanted to try flow director filters (should be supported as stated by the Intel documentation on this NIC). I tried using testpmd app to see what was supported and it seems signature mode is not. Perfect mode is accepted but I can't apply any mask on filters fields. In my own program, I configure the port's fdir_conf as follows :
struct rte_fdir_conf fdir_conf {
        .mode = RTE_FDIR_MODE_PERFECT,
        .pballoc = RTE_FDIR_PBALLOC_64K,
        .status = RTE_FDIR_REPORT_STATUS,
        .drop_queue = 127,
        .mask = {
                .vlan_tci_mask = 0x0,
                .ipv4_mask     = {
                        .src_ip = 0xFFFFFFFF,
                        .dst_ip = 0xFFFFFFFF,
                },
                .ipv6_mask     = {
                        .src_ip = {0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF},
                        .dst_ip = {0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF},
                },
                .src_port_mask = 0xFFFF,
                .dst_port_mask = 0xFFFF,
        },
};

When I then use rte_eth_dev_fdir_set_masks or rte_eth_dev_fdir_add_perfect_filter functions they return an -95 error (unsupported by hardware ?). So I looked into the testpmd code and found that it is using rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl function. This one using a fdir filter is accepted but I'm unable to set the filter properly. Indeed, I just want to filter on dst_ip and dst_port so I don't really know what to set in filter's other fields (flexbytes, src_ip ...) as I can't apply a mask.

I hope someone could help me on this topic (I know should miss something, but what?).

Thanks a lot,
Best regards,

Sylvain