[dpdk-dev] rte_eal_init() alternative?

Don Provan dprovan at bivio.net
Tue Sep 8 20:01:08 CEST 2015

From: Wiles, Keith:
>That stated I am not a big fan of huge structures being passed into
>a init routine as that structure would need to be versioned and it will
>grow/change. Plus he did not really want to deal in strings, so the
>structure would be binary values and strings as required.

A typical library has an init routine which establishes defaults, and
then the application adjusts parameters through targeted set routines
before starting to use the library operationally. In the argc/argv
wrapper, the parsing code would call one of those individual routines
when it parses the corresponding command line flag.

The idea that there has to be one massive init routine which is
passed every possible configuration parameter is more of the same
monolithic thinking that DPDK needs to shake.

-don provan
dprovan at bivio.net