[dpdk-dev] ixgbe: account more Rx errors Issue

Kyle Larose eomereadig at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:43:21 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 7:44 AM, Tahhan, Maryam <maryam.tahhan at intel.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Hi Maryam,

If we look to the if-mib (from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2233.txt), we can
see that their definition of in errors aligns more closely with Olivier's.

There they say (>>> <<< mine):

   ifInErrors OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      Counter32
       MAX-ACCESS  read-only
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
               "For packet-oriented interfaces, >>> the number of inbound
               packets that contained errors preventing them from
               being deliverable to a higher-layer protocol <<<.  For
               character-oriented or fixed-length interfaces, the
               number of inbound transmission units that contained
               errors preventing them from being deliverable to a
               higher-layer protocol.

               Discontinuities in the value of this counter can occur
               at re-initialization of the management system, and at
               other times as indicated by the value of
               ifCounterDiscontinuityTime."
       ::= { ifEntry 14 }

They count it as the number of packets, not the number of errors. So, if a
packet contains two errors, it is only counted once.

I'm not sure what the intention of the ierrors stat is. Do we intend to use
it to feed into MIBs/standards such as the above? Or do we intend to make
it something different? If the former, I think we should conform to the
meaning suggested by rfc2233.
Thanks,

Kyle